Looking for a hearty and flavorful breakfast dish? Look no further than Mexican breakfast potatoes!
This traditional dish is a staple in many Mexican households and packs a punch of flavor in every bite. It’s one of the typical Mexican breakfasts you have to try when you travel to Mexico!
In this post, I’ll let you know about the history, preparation, and variations of this delicious Mexican dish. You’ll discover that there’s much more to Mexican food than tacos and burritos.
As a foodie traveler, I’ve explored Mexico through its delicious cuisine and can help you choose the perfect Mexican breakfast. Trust me, I’ve devoured my way through Mexico multiple times, and Mexican potatoes are delicious!
These crispy and savory spuds are a favorite breakfast dish across Mexico and are sure to satisfy your morning cravings.
Whether you’re traveling through bustling cities or charming towns like Tulum, you’re bound to find a plate of Mexican breakfast potatoes served up hot and ready to enjoy.
In this post, we’ll explore everything you need to know about this beloved breakfast dish, from its traditional ingredients to different cooking methods, seasonings, and serving suggestions.
Try making Mexican breakfast potatoes at home with this simple recipe and experience the delicious taste of traditional Mexican cuisine.
So, get ready to wake up your taste buds and dive into the delicious world of breakfast potatoes in Mexico!
- Mexican Breakfast
- History of Mexican Breakfast Potatoes
- What are Mexican breakfast potatoes?
- Ingredients and Preparation of the Mexican potatoes breakfast
- Variations on the Mexican-style breakfast potatoes
- Suggestions for side dishes and beverages to pair with Mexican breakfast potatoes
- How to make Mexican breakfast potatoes with an air fryer
- Final thoughts on Mexican breakfast potatoes
- FAQ about Mexican breakfast potatoes
- What are breakfast potatoes called?
- In what parts of Mexico are Mexican breakfast potatoes eaten?
- What are Mexican breakfast potatoes made of?
- How to cube potatoes for breakfast
- Can you cut breakfast potatoes the night before?
- Can you reheat breakfast potatoes?
- How long do cooked breakfast potatoes last?
- Are breakfast potatoes healthy?
- What is a traditional Mexican breakfast?
- Are Mexican breakfast potatoes eaten in Riviera Maya?
- Where to eat Mexican breakfast potatoes in Tulum
- Are Mexican breakfast potatoes eaten in Cancun?
- Where to eat Mexican breakfast potatoes in Cancun
- Are Mexican breakfast potatoes eaten in Cabo?
- Where to eat Mexican breakfast potatoes in Cabo San Lucas
Mexican breakfast cuisine is popular all over the world, and for good reason. It’s a perfect combination of flavors and ingredients that make for a hearty and satisfying meal.
One traditional dish that has gained popularity in recent years is Mexican style breakfast potatoes.
Whether served as a side dish or as the main course, these potatoes are a delicious and satisfying addition to any breakfast spread.
We’ll explore the history of this classic dish, learn how to make Mexican breakfast potatoes, discover some delicious variations and serving suggestions, and know where to try them if you travel to Mexico.
History of Mexican Breakfast Potatoes
This Mexican breakfast has a long history as a staple dish in Mexican households.
Did you know that Mexican potatoes breakfast have been a staple in Mexican cuisine for centuries? They originated in rural areas where potatoes were readily available.
This dish has its roots in the “Papas a la Mexicana” or Mexican-style potatoes, which are cooked with garlic, onion, and tomato.
Over time, the dish has evolved to include a variety of ingredients, from spices like cumin and paprika to toppings like cheese and avocado.
What are Mexican breakfast potatoes?
Mexican style potatoes are a traditional breakfast dish in Mexican cuisine.
They are typically made with diced potatoes, onions, garlic, and peppers, sautéed together with Mexican seasonings such as chili powder, cumin, and paprika.
The dish can also include other ingredients such as tomatoes, chorizo, or eggs.
Mexican breakfast potatoes are often served with other traditional Mexican breakfast dishes such as huevos rancheros, chilaquiles, or tamales, and can be served on their own or on top of a tortilla.
The dish is a hearty and flavorful way to start the day and is enjoyed throughout Mexico and in many Mexican-American households.
Ingredients and Preparation of the Mexican potatoes breakfast
The dish is simple yet delicious, and the aroma of the seasoning alone is enough to make your mouth water!
Here are the step-by-step instructions for preparing delicious Mexican breakfast potatoes:
- 4 medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes, washed and peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime
How to cook Mexican potatoes for breakfast
- Cut the potatoes into small cubes, about 1/2 inch in size.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the skillet and sauté until the onion is translucent and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes to the skillet, stirring well to coat them with the onion and garlic mixture.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper to the skillet, stirring again to ensure that the potatoes are coated in the seasoning.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and let the potatoes cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally until they are fork-tender.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the chopped cilantro and lime juice.
- Taste the potatoes and adjust the seasoning as needed, adding more salt or pepper if desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Variations on the Mexican-style breakfast potatoes
There are many variations on Mexican potatoes, from the classic Papas a la Mexicana to the popular Mexican-style breakfast casserole.
Spicy Mexican breakfast potatoes
For a spicier version of this dish, you can add a diced jalapeño pepper to the skillet with the onion and garlic.
Additionally, if you prefer your potatoes crispy, you can cook them for a few extra minutes without the lid, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
Mexican breakfast potatoes with eggs
One popular variation is to add eggs to the dish, either by scrambling them in with the potatoes or by serving the potatoes alongside fried or poached eggs.
Vegan Mexican breakfast potatoes
Another option is to make a vegan Mexican breakfast by omitting the eggs and using plant-based ingredients like tofu or tempeh instead and using a vegan Mexican seasoning blend.
You can also use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes for a healthier variation of the dish.
Mexican breakfast potato casserole
A Mexican breakfast potato casserole typically combines cubed potatoes with eggs, cheese, and various seasonings and spices. Serve the Mexican breakfast potato casserole with fresh salsa and warm corn tortillas for a complete and satisfying breakfast meal.
This dish can be prepared in advance and is perfect for feeding a crowd at a breakfast or brunch gathering.
Papas con chorizo
Another way to spice up your breakfast potatoes is to add chorizo or another spicy sausage.
Simply cook the sausage in a skillet before adding the potatoes, onions, and peppers. The sausage will infuse the potatoes with its delicious flavor and spice.
Suggestions for side dishes and beverages to pair with Mexican breakfast potatoes
Mexican potatoes pair well with a variety of side dishes and beverages, from corn tortillas and refried beans to coffee or hot chocolate.
They can also be served alongside other breakfast staples like bacon, sausage, or toast. For a creative twist, try serving the potatoes in a breakfast burrito or as part of a breakfast bowl.
Here is a summary of side dishes and beverages that would pair well with Mexican potatoes:
- Refried beans
- Fresh fruit salad
- Grilled vegetables
- Homemade salsa and chips
- Corn tortillas
- Avocado slices
- Freshly squeezed orange juice
- Café de olla (Mexican spiced coffee)
- Agua fresca (a refreshing fruit drink)
- Michelada (a beer cocktail with lime, hot sauce, and spices)
How to make Mexican breakfast potatoes with an air fryer
If you have an air fryer, you can use it to make crispy and delicious Mexican potatoes without using much oil.
Here’s how to make breakfast potatoes with an air fryer:
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F.
- Wash and dry the potatoes, then cut them into small cubes.
- In a bowl, mix the olive oil, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Add the cubed potatoes to the bowl and toss them to coat them evenly with the spice mixture.
- Place the seasoned potatoes in the air fryer basket in a single layer, making sure that they are not too crowded.
- Air fry the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- Check the potatoes for doneness by inserting a fork or toothpick into one of the larger pieces. If it slides in easily, the potatoes are ready.
- Serve the potatoes hot with your favorite toppings, such as salsa, sour cream, or cilantro.
Making Mexican papas in an air fryer is a healthy and easy alternative to frying them in oil, and it yields delicious results every time.
Final thoughts on Mexican breakfast potatoes
Mexican breakfast potatoes are a must-try dish for anyone visiting Mexico.
This savory and filling breakfast staple is rich in flavor and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Whether you prefer them fried, baked, or in a casserole, the versatility of Mexican style potatoes makes them a great addition to any breakfast table.
Don’t forget to pair them with other traditional Mexican breakfast dishes and top them off with fresh herbs and spices to take the dish to the next level.
So, if you’re in Mexico, be sure to start your day right with a plate of delicious and satisfying breakfast potatoes, or make it at home. You won’t regret it!
FAQ about Mexican breakfast potatoes
What are breakfast potatoes called?
Breakfast potatoes are simply called “papas” in Mexico.
In some regions, they may be referred to as “papas fritas” (fried potatoes), “papas a la Mexicana” (Mexican-style potatoes), or “papas con chorizo” (potatoes with chorizo).
In what parts of Mexico are Mexican breakfast potatoes eaten?
Mexican breakfast potatoes are a popular dish throughout Mexico and can be found in many different regions of the country.
However, some regional variations of the dish may use different ingredients or cooking methods. For example, Papas a la Mexicana, a popular variation of the dish, is particularly common in central and southern Mexico, while other variations may be more prevalent in different regions.
Overall, Mexican potatoes are a staple of traditional Mexican cuisine and can be enjoyed throughout the country.
What are Mexican breakfast potatoes made of?
Mexican breakfast potatoes are typically made of diced potatoes, onions, garlic, and bell peppers, sautéed until crispy and golden brown.
The dish is often seasoned with salt, black pepper, cumin, chili powder, and other spices to add flavor and heat.
Some variations may also include diced tomatoes or jalapeños for added texture and flavor. The dish can be served on its own as a side dish or incorporated into other breakfast dishes such as huevos rancheros or breakfast burritos.
How to cube potatoes for breakfast
To cube potatoes for breakfast, follow these steps:
- Start by washing the potatoes thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris. Then, peel the potatoes if desired.
- Slice off a thin piece of the potato lengthwise to create a flat surface for stability.
- Cut the potato into slices that are about ¼ inch thick.
- Stack the slices and cut them into sticks that are about ¼ inch wide.
- Finally, cut the sticks into cubes that are about ¼ inch on each side.
Make sure the cubes are evenly sized to ensure even cooking.
Can you cut breakfast potatoes the night before?
Yes, you can cut breakfast potatoes the night before and store them in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook them.
This can save you time in the morning and make breakfast preparation faster and more efficient.
It is best to store the potatoes in an airtight container or zip-lock bag in the refrigerator to prevent them from drying out or turning brown.
When you are ready to cook the potatoes, make sure to pat them dry with a paper towel before adding them to the pan to ensure even browning.
Can you reheat breakfast potatoes?
Yes, you can reheat breakfast potatoes. To reheat, place the potatoes in a microwave-safe dish and cover them with a damp paper towel.
Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat the potatoes in a skillet over medium-high heat with a little bit of oil until they are crispy and heated through.
How long do cooked breakfast potatoes last?
Cooked breakfast potatoes can last for up to 4-5 days if stored properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
However, their quality may deteriorate over time, and they may become less flavorful and lose their texture. It’s important to reheat them thoroughly before eating to ensure that they are safe to consume.
Are breakfast potatoes healthy?
It depends on how they are prepared. Potatoes themselves are a nutritious and healthy source of carbohydrates, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals.
However, the way they are cooked can impact their healthfulness. If they are fried in oil, they can become high in calories and unhealthy fats.
To make breakfast potatoes healthier, consider roasting them in the oven with a small amount of olive oil or air frying them instead of frying them in oil.
You can also add other nutritious ingredients such as peppers, onions, and garlic to boost the nutrient content.
Overall, with some modifications, breakfast potatoes can be a healthy addition to your breakfast.
What is a traditional Mexican breakfast?
A traditional Mexican breakfast can vary depending on the region of Mexico, but some common breakfast dishes are:
- Chilaquiles – Tortilla chips simmered in red or green salsa, topped with cheese, onions, and sour cream.
- Huevos rancheros – Fried eggs served on a tortilla with refried beans, salsa, and avocado.
- Enchiladas – Tortillas filled with cheese or meat, covered in salsa, and topped with sour cream and cheese.
- Tamales – Corn masa dough filled with meat or cheese, wrapped in corn husks, and steamed.
- Machaca – Dried beef or pork mixed with scrambled eggs and served with beans and tortillas.
- Papas a la Mexicana – Potatoes cooked with tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
- Pan dulce – Sweet bread often served with coffee or hot chocolate.
These dishes can be accompanied by Mexican coffee or hot chocolate, as well as fresh fruit or juices.
Are Mexican breakfast potatoes eaten in Riviera Maya?
Yes, Mexican breakfast potatoes are a common dish in the Riviera Maya region of Mexico.
Many local restaurants and cafes in the area serve traditional Mexican breakfast dishes, including Mexican potatoes breakfast.
They are often prepared with regional ingredients and seasonings, giving them a unique flavor profile. Visitors to the Riviera Maya can enjoy this classic Mexican dish while also exploring the area’s beautiful beaches and cultural landmarks.
Where to eat Mexican breakfast potatoes in Tulum
Tulum is a popular destination for tourists seeking a taste of traditional Mexican cuisine, including breakfast dishes. There are several local restaurants and cafes to have breakfast in Tulum that serve delicious Mexican potatoes.
Here are some recommendations:
- Ki’Bok Coffee – This cozy café serves some of the best coffee in Tulum and a variety of breakfast dishes, including Mexican potatoes. Their potatoes are seasoned with traditional Mexican spices and served with eggs, avocado, and homemade salsa.
- Del Cielo – This breakfast spot is known for its healthy and delicious breakfast options, including its vegan breakfast potatoes. Made with Yukon gold potatoes, these vegan potatoes are seasoned with garlic, onions, and chili powder, and served with fresh cilantro and lime.
- Burrito Amor – This casual eatery is famous for its mouth-watering breakfast burritos, but they also serve a hearty plate of Mexican-style breakfast potatoes.
- La Zebra – Located right on the beach, La Zebra is the perfect spot for a relaxing breakfast. Their Mexican breakfast potatoes are made with Yukon gold potatoes and seasoned with traditional Mexican spices and served with a side of fresh fruit and coffee.
Are Mexican breakfast potatoes eaten in Cancun?
Yes, Mexican breakfast potatoes are commonly served in Cancun as part of a traditional Mexican breakfast.
Many restaurants and cafes in Cancun serve a variety of Mexican breakfast dishes, including huevos rancheros, chilaquiles, and of course, Mexican potatoes.
Where to eat Mexican breakfast potatoes in Cancun
Cancun is home to many great restaurants and eateries where you can find delicious Mexican breakfast potatoes.
Here are some recommendations:
- La Fonda del Zancudo: This traditional Mexican restaurant serves a variety of breakfast dishes, including papas a la Mexicana.
- Los de Pescado: This seafood restaurant offers a unique take on breakfast potatoes, serving them with chorizo, roasted peppers, and onions. It’s a must-try if you’re looking for something a little different.
- La Parrilla: This popular restaurant chain has several locations throughout Cancun and is known for its delicious Mexican food. They offer papas fritas (fried potatoes) as a side dish, but you can also ask for them to be prepared with Mexican seasonings for an authentic flavor.
- La Victoria: This casual breakfast spot is a local favorite and is known for its tasty Mexican breakfast dishes, including papas con chorizo (potatoes with chorizo). It’s a great option for a quick and affordable breakfast.
- Cafe Nader: This cozy cafe is a great spot to grab a cup of coffee and some delicious breakfast potatoes.
Are Mexican breakfast potatoes eaten in Cabo?
Yes, Mexican breakfast potatoes are commonly served in Cabo, which is a popular tourist destination located at the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula.
The region has a rich culinary heritage, and traditional Mexican breakfast dishes, including breakfast potatoes, are widely available at local restaurants and cafes.
Where to eat Mexican breakfast potatoes in Cabo San Lucas
There are many places to try Mexican breakfast potatoes in Cabo San Lucas.
Here are some recommendations:
- Pan di Bacco – This bakery and cafe serve a delicious Mexican-style breakfast that includes potatoes. The cafe is located in the heart of downtown Cabo San Lucas.
- The Cabo Bakery – This bakery serves fresh baked goods and breakfast items, including Mexican potatoes.
- El Farallon – This restaurant is located in the luxurious resort of The Resort at Pedregal and serves a variety of Mexican breakfast dishes, including breakfast potatoes.
- La Dolce – This Italian restaurant in Cabo San Lucas also serves Mexican breakfast dishes, including breakfast potatoes. The restaurant is located in the Puerto Paraiso mall.
Maria Corona – This restaurant serves traditional Mexican cuisine, including breakfast dishes such as chilaquiles and of course, breakfast potatoes. It is located in the downtown area of Cabo San Lucas.