Looking for the best snorkeling in Playa del Carmen?
You’ve come to the right place!
Playa del Carmen is one of the most popular destinations in Mexico. The beaches are white sand and turquoise water. In addition, there are many activities you can do.
Today I’m going to share the Playa del Carmen Snorkeling Guide for your next vacation, from coral reefs to whale sharks. As well as the agencies and operators with a competitive price (but don’t tell anyone).
Best Snorkeling in Playa del Carmen
South of Playacar
Playacar is a beach surrounded by hotels, so you have to walk long enough to get there. It is located 40 minutes by car from Cancun.
There are two phases. In the first one, you will find villas and beach clubs. The second stage has a golf course and an all-inclusive resort. However, near the end, you will find beautiful reefs where you can discover marine life (remember to bring your own snorkel gear).
Playa Coco Beach (in front of Reef Coco Beach Hotel)
Here you will spot turtles and abundant sea life, but you need to swim about 100 meters to reach the site. If you want to go even further you will have to cross 450 meters of rocks. I recommend you have previous experience.
Cortez angelfish, giant hawkish, rainbow wrasse, and jewel morays are usually seen in the barrier reef holes. It’s a herd so don’t panic! If you want to make your way easier you can rent a yacht and take the excursion with a certified guide (but it is not cheap).
Cenote Cristalino is considered the best place to snorkel in playa del carmen. This is a family-friendly environment to go to with children. It’s not extreme or careful when swimming. Similar to a water park but with a cenote.
The hours of operation are from 08:00 AM to 6:00 PM Monday to Sunday. It has a 4.5 rating and 675 reviews on TripAdvisor. The entrance fee is $8 for adults and $5 for children. Although you should consider that there can be a lot of people in this place.
Best snorkeling tours in Playa del Carmen
If you want to have a better experience, then you should go to farther places where only an expert can take you because there is some crazy underwater world and huge reefs.
But the price goes up to $100 per person. Check out the options on Viator, one of the leading platforms in the market for tours.
This would take a full day because of the travel time, but don’t worry because they include food and drinks. You can also add a photographer to capture the most special moments!
There are many Playa del Carmen snorkeling spots.
However, you must know where to go because the level of difficulty is different in each one. So as your good friend, I prepared for you an express list of the best snorkeling in Riviera Maya.
- Akumal is located 25 minutes from the city. This town is famous for the turtles, and besides seeing them underwater you can release the babies when they go to the sea for the first time. Playa del carmen snorkeling with sea turtles is 100% worth it!
- Puerto Morelos is very calm and quiet but has the best colors of the water, a mix between the lagoon and the ocean. In this area, you will find the famous Mesoamerican barrier reef, which is the second-largest reef ecosystem in the world. You might see barracudas, manta rays, seahorses, bright fire coral, and some lobsters.
- Puerto Aventuras is 20 minutes (by car) from Playa del Carmen. You can rent equipment from certified agencies and explore the area freely. Although it is better to go with a guide to get the most out of the trip. There is also a shopping center where you can reserve a golf cart, eat in restaurants and buy souvenirs.
- Jardin del Eden is a saltwater place, lost in the middle of nature. The entrance is very inexpensive. The environment is family-friendly and you can go with children. Around the area are damselfish, wrasses, mini catfish, and brightly-colored tetras. Among the rocks, some caves look like swimming pools!
Best snorkeling near Playa del carmen
If you have a car or any other kind of transportation, go to different places in the Yucatan Peninsula, which allows you to discover the vast diversity of flora and fauna. The distances are no more than 1 hour by road.
- In the town of Tulum, you will find tours that offer a complete service for affordable prices. Here there is a subway river which is very popular for snorkeling. You can also go offshore and see how the fishing world works.
- Snorkeling in Cozumel from Playa del Carmen is one of the most popular activities for tourists. You will have to take a ferry in the morning to make the most of it. There are routes for beginners and others for experts. Even if you like scuba diving you can do it!
- Did you know that there is an Underwater Museum in Cancun? There are statues and a sunken ship. Every part of this place has a story. The depth is not a lot, so don’t worry. Anyone can go on this tour. I recommend you ask about the total duration in the water because this event has a lot of guests.
- Xpu Ha is a beach with seafood restaurants and dishes from all over the world. It has lounge chairs and resting places. There are tents to rent equipment and go into the sea to explore the reefs. I consider it ideal for those who do not like deep waters or big animals.
- Isla Mujeres is considered a beautiful island full of life. The sand has a white color; It looks like heaven haha! Although this is a small place. There are activities such as snorkeling that are very attractive.
After reading all the Best snorkeling spots in Playa del Carmen, start preparing for your next trip! I’m sure you’ll have a great time. Discover all that the Riviera Maya has to offer. Tell me, when are you coming to Playa del Carmen?